St.Louis Audubon is sponsoring a birding trip along the Hwy 79 corridor in St. Charles and Lincoln Counties this coming Saturday, April 16.  We will spend a lot of time at B.K.Leach (at least 15 good spots within B.K.Leach) and will visit the Keeteman Rd sod fields and the Winfield dam and slough area on the way south on 79.  If time allows we will explore the Dalbow Rd/Firma Rd complex.  We will be viewing a lot of shallow water areas as well as some forested sections and grassy sections.

Start time - 8:00 at the first parking lot in the Bittern Basin unit of B.K.Leach CA.  The trip is billed as all day, but how long you stay is up to you.  Finish time will likely be around 3:00 - 4:00 pm

Bring - binoculars, spotting scopes if you have one, lunch, water, FRS radios if you have one.

Cost - zero whether you are a member of SLAS or not.

Bathroom stops - There will be 3 pit toilet stops, one at Prairie Slough CA, one within B.K.Leach and one at Winfield Dam if the old one that was torn down has been replaced which some on-line reports suggest is the case.

Directions - Option A -  From the St.Louis area take I-70 over the Blanchette Bridge across the Missouri River to MO Hwy 79.  Take 79 north through Elsberry.  Just north of downtown Elsberry is County Route P which goes off to the right and has a sign directing one to Prairie Slough CA.  Go about 1/2 mile on Route P and pull into the first parking lot on the left.

   Option B - If you want to carpool plan to meet in the southeast corner of the Dierberg’s parking lot at the southwest side of the junction of I-70 and Hwy 79 by 7:00 am.  Plan to leave by 7:15 am and proceed as in option A up Hwy 79 to County Route P just outside Elsberry.

Highway problems - From MODOT,s website: A month-long right lane closure on westbound I-70 between the Blanchette Bridge and Route 94 in April.

Leader - John Solodar - I will use Option A.

John Solodar - 314-862-5294

"The older I get the better I was."