From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Andrew Reago
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2016 2:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Eurasian Tree Sparrow - bill deformity noticed, 2/28/16

This past Sunday I witnessed something that alarmed me a little.  An Eurasian Tree Sparrow showed up at the feeders at Columbia Bottom Conservation Area on 2/28/16 with a hooked bill - a deformed bill.

The reason this alarmed me a little is that I'd read an article last year on beak deformities being studied in Alaska due to the overwhelming number of birds and bird species showing up with deformities there in the last ten years.

The article mentioned that we should pay attention to these things.  The article suggested that deformities were red flags indicating that something is wrong, although what exactly was wrong was not conclusive and hints at climate change were mentioned.

Now, mind you, this is only one bird that I've noticed with a beak deformity lately.  But I thought I'd draw folks attention to this bird and this issue.  Here is a photo of the Eurasian Tree Sparrow with the deformed beak from this past Sunday and one without a deformed beak for comparison (also from this past Sunday).  (Click on the photos to enlarge them.):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wildreturn/albums/72157662971283314

Here is one of the articles I read last year on beak deformities in Alaska that gives a good overview of the issues involved:

http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/2015-11-23/bird-experts-investigate-chickadee-beak-deformity

Andy Reago

St. Louis MO

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and legally privileged information. Any unauthorized review, copy, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail or via phone at 573-449-4181 and destroy all electronic or paper copies of the original message.