Sue and I just returned from the AT&T field off Belltrees Road across from the Principia College gatehouse. We heard two males peenting. Then one sounded his aggressive calls and dive bombed the other. Then both took off and chased each other all around the field until one flew over the wind break into another field. The victor returned and re-commenced the mating sequence.

This makes about three decades that the woodcocks have returned to this very field without missing a Spring. Good sounds, a few good looks—all in all, this was a fine close to a Spring-like February day.

Tom and Sue Fuller

Dr. Thomas H. Fuller
Jersey County
Principia College, Elsah, IL 62028, 618-374-5279