https://www.allaboutbirds.org/white-winged-crossbills-ecology-and-conservation-during-an-irruption-year/

I’m not an expert either, but since there have been Crossbill irruptions in recent years, and it’s hard to judge size in the field from so far away, AND the picture looks much more like a Crossbill, I think that’s more probable.

Dwight Cruikshank
Columbia

On Feb 2, 2016, at 12:35 PM, Dean Kendall <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I'm no expert, but agree that the observed size in direct comparison with
Titmouse (which I somehow overlooked in Eric and Joanna's original email)
rules out Crossbill.

Dean, Berks Co, PA

-----Original Message-----
From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Eric Reuter
Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 11:17 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Unusual bird seen at Blue Spring, Ozark National Scenic
Riverways

Brad (and all other respondents),

Thanks for the input. Please note that we described its size as "much
bigger than titmouse", which we're certain of because several titmice were
scolding nearby. In fact, my first reaction upon seeing the bird with my
naked eye was "That's a weird-looking robin", before getting the
binoculars on it and knowing we had something interesting. As for the
bill, we observed the bird from multiple angles, and were unable to
resolve a crossed bill, despite "wanting" it to be there. That doesn't
mean it wasn't there, only that we were unable to observe it.

After consulting birding guides, our conclusion was Pine Grosbeak,
especially because the size seemed diagnostic and it was something we
could directly confirm by comparison to titmice, but as either option
would be a life bird for both of us, we'd hoped for some clear
confirmation from others one way or another. Instead, it seems that the ID
remains rather uncertain. How should it be reported with such uncertainty?

Eric & Joanna

---