From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Eric Reuter
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2016 9:50 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Unusual bird seen at Blue Spring, Ozark National Scenic Riverways

My wife and I observed an unusual bird at Blue Spring in the Ozark National
Scenic Riverways this past weekend. Our field notes are below; we took a
photo but as the bird was across the spring from us, could only get so
close. Also below is a link to that photo, with several zoomed selections
included to help document what we saw to the extent of our camera's ability.
Apologies for the late notice, but we do not have cell phones and had to
wait until returning home to download the photo and write this up properly.

Saturday, January 30, 2016, 4:00 - 4:15 p.m.
Blue Spring, Ozark National Scenic Riverways We did not have a bird book
with us, and recorded these field notes before consulting one [later
addition/clarifications in brackets]:

. pink/purple on body [head/breast/back]; wings with two white wing bars
[contrasting with generally dark wings] . tail gray below and above, gently
forked . pink down back between wings . especially bright/pale pink on top
of head . in [deciduous] trees above Blue Spring, dropped to ground next to
water [for a short time before returning to trees] . size--medium--much
bigger than titmouse [which were in vicinity and almost seemed to be
scolding it at one point in time] . slight black around the eye/base of bill
. finch-like bill; could not see crossing--looked for it [using good
binoculars, Nikon 8x42, from our position on the opposite bank of the
spring's pool]

http://cherthollowfarm.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Blue_Spring_mystery
_bird.jpg

Here's some additional context: Bird was initially seen perching in a
deciduous tree perhaps 30' above the spring. Eventually it flew down to the
water, took a drink, and returned to a deciduous tree again. It never
vocalized. It did perch for long periods providing excellent viewing. Its
motions were smooth and calm. The whole area was in full shade, making light
difficult for photography, but it was still quite good for binocular
viewing.

Perusing our Crossley and Sibley guides, two possibilities emerged: a
White-Winged Crossbill and a Pine Grosbeak. We discounted the former because
we were unable to see the hooked bill and these are supposed to be similar
in size to a Titmouse, while we judged this bird to be noticeably larger.
Thus we settled on Pine Grosbeak, but would appreciate input, particularly
from those with experience regarding the behavior of these species.

Eric & Joanna Reuter

The Audubon Society of Missouri's Wild Bird Discussion Forum ABA Birding
Code of Ethics http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html
ASM Spring Meeting: April 29-May 1, 2016 at Bunker Hill Retreat near
Mountain View, MO Details and online registration at:

---

ASM Spring Meeting: April 29-May 1, 2016 at Bunker Hill Retreat near Mountain View, MO