It's fairly pounding (pun not intended)

On 29 February 2016 at 16:55, Chanan Mittal <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Posted it just to feel the list's pulse.
O, it's throbbing!
Thx.
CR

On Monday, February 29, 2016, Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I agree with Gene. In fact, this reviewer is quite sympathetic to Eliot: he treats his marriage as even-handedly as he claims the editors do, and he mainly gives a factual account.

Calling Eliot a "cultural retrograde" may be a reason for disagreement, but it is neither unusual nor "vomit-inducing." It is a judgment many scholars made over the years and many of Eliot's friends also made. In different words, Eliot himself made it when he told his mother that he was "no longer very popular with the Nation people, because my political and social views are so reactionary and ultra-conservative." And for anyone who would use "retrograde," "reactionary" is probably worse. Both are political views about being "ultra-conservative."

My point (and please note this before any personal pouncing) is not that the reviewer is correct or incorrect--merely that this is a pretty frequent view and not at all evidence of some intellectual or personal failure.

Also, I do not agree with the reviewer's apparent dismissal of 4Q, but I share a preference for the early work--also a very frequent preference. And many who prefer the late work simply disagree on what is better: it is not a true or false test.

As Gene notes, what is more important than trying to defend Eliot (who needs no defense and anyway pretty much did his own) is the possibility that a reader of this review may be intrigued and go to the poetry--and prose.

One note about facts: it is not apparently the case that Eliot decided, while in America, to leave Vivienne. According to one key source, he had decided before he even left England.
Nancy