Whooping cranes present as late as 3:30 pm today.

Luann Holst
Bloomsdale, MO

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 18, 2016, at 5:30 PM, palmerrd <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Monday 18 January 2016
Randolph County, Illinois and Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri
4 immature Whooping Crane
   Drove down to Kaskaskia Island early this morning with Dorothy.  We drove to the 3/4 mile
spot and saw David Beecher with his scope.  As we drove up to Dave's car the cranes took off
from far out in the corn field flying west over us and the dike at 7:20 AM.  They were close enough
to us that we were able to identify them.  My first for Illinois.  We walked up on the dike but were
unable to see them due to the many trees.  David left headed south.  We then headed further north to the
first gravel road going to the top of the dike.  The road continued on down the other side into a corn field.
As everything was very frozen I walked out into the corn field on the farm road to the top of a rise.
From there I was able to scope the cranes at 9:00 AM. They were now in Missouri very close to
Highway 61 standing in a corn field.  My first for Missouri.  Only other thing of note before we left
were two Trumpeter Swans near a farm house on the island seen from the road on the way off the
island .  No neck bands that I could see.
   225 miles round trip but it was worth it.  Thanks Pat for letting the birding world know.

Dick and Dorothy Palmer
340 America St
Foristell, MO 63348-1163