I spent the morning birding Riverlands and found it part way recovered from
the flood. The river itself was way down, exposing much mud in Ellis Bay
and down toward the dam, while the area south of Riverlands Way was still
partially flooded, leaving a mix of water, mud, and grass. Riverlands Way
is fine, and the turn down to the dam is open. The road into Lincoln
Shields is closed, although it is basically OK (I walked in); Wise Road is
OK and passable; and the road to the Confluence is also closed and
definitely not OK (it will probably, once again, take a long time to get
fixed).

Waterfowl are back in force. I had 21 species, five of them geese,
including a group of 7 Cackling Geese on ice near the main road. Most of
the Trumpeter Swans (plus some Tundras) are on the private land that is
just across Red School Road from Riverlands; they can be viewed and even
roughly counted from the far corner of Riverlands Way. Along with them are
masses of Greater White-fronted Geese and Snow Geese, some of which fly
over into Riverlands at times. There is good duck variety, with most of the
divers and all three mergansers.  Eagles, too, are finally showing up in
decent numbers (my est. was 16).

Gulls are numerous, but they are virtually all Ring-bills. I had only three
Herrings and nothing else, though I'm sure the late-afternoon gathering
might produce more.

Passerines are still almost non-existent except for the area around the
Audubon Center, where the grass and shrubs hold fairly many sparrows.

Bill Rowe
St. Louis