We had a beautiful, sunny, calm, Winter day last Saturday for the Swan Lake count. Looks like we ended up with 82 species. Pretty good for a January count in North Mo. with some areas inaccessible due to flooding and poor road conditions. Some of the high lights include a new high count of 182 Trumpeter Swans - guess I was wrong about them not liking the flood waters, as they showed up after all!. Ducks included more than 50,000 Mallards, 386 Northern Shoveler, and 268 Hooded Merganser! Unexpected numbers of Golden-crowned Kinglets , Yellow-rumped Warblers, and Savannah Sparrows, was a nice surprise. Had good number of Bald Eagles -135 - as expected for this count. Nice to have half a dozen Loggerhead Shrikes this time. Not so nice were low numbers of Cedar Waxwing, Red-winged Blackbird, and for a second year, American Goldfinch? White-crowned Sparrows were well represented with 109 tallied, mostly due to team of McNeely & McNeely's find of 55 in one place! On the other hand Dark-eyed Junco numbers were low with only 626 found. Red-headed Woodpecker - 113, and Northern Flicker - 78, numbers were also down probably mostly due to not being able to get to some of the bottom land forests and Pecan Groves. Misses included Cackling and Ross's Geese, Northern Pintail, Rough-legged Hawk, and Belted Kingfisher.
  Thanks to all those who helped with the Count!

Have a Great 2016!
Steve Kinder
Chillicothe, Livingston Co.