Yesterday it was a white-headed cardinal. Today, a Northern Mockingbird doing its sharp check outside my computer room window! Now, that may not be unusual to many at this time of year, but a mockingbird in our yard at any time is unusual! We have lived here since 1960, and only one time (to my knowledge) have we had a mockingbird and it only stayed for a while during nesting season, but disappeared. I hope this bird stays the rest of the year!

To add another oddity to the new year for us: The Kansas Star, sections A-C are dated January 3, 1916 while D and E say January 2, 1916. My husband knocked on the bathroom door and said, "Are you ready yet?" "Ready???!, where am I going?" Bob had dressed, read the date on the paper, changed clothes for church and was asking if I was ready to go. Now being in the 80's is bad enough for the memory without the Paper adding to confusion of what day it is.

Jo Ann Eldridge, Kearney, Clay