Busch Conservation Area- Weldon Spring

We heard what was probably a Gray Catbird behind the spillway at lake #33 today.  Habitat was typical: rows of thickets, including thorn bushes.  We heard the consistent 'Mew' call for several minutes.  Sparrows and the like scattered around, yet the Mew sound continued.  Despite  us splitting up for a hopeful visual, it never was seen.  As a result, this is only an FYI rather than a confirmation.  For anyone interested, bird the gravel road that leads to the wetland area of lake 33.  One must walk it for it is gated now.  I'm not going to bother eBird w/this for we didn't see/photograph it.  It will be under the 'passerine' sighting, however.

Other than that, it was just nice to be out.  Our 7 Woodpecker species weren't too shy, with an immature Yellow-bellied Sapsucker rounding out that group.

Golden-crowned Kinglet, Yellow-rumped Warblers,  immature Bald Eagle (probable 4th year-photos on Ebird later), Wood Duck pair and a baker's dozen of Eastern Bluebirds were some of our highlights.  Kinda impressed by the number of low soaring Turkey Vulture numbers for a 40 degree day.

Caveat: There are hunters here.   You will see them and/ or hear gun fire.  If you're not accustomed to that or you don't feel safe in that environment, you may want to stay away for the time being.  If I felt threatened in any way, I wouldn't have posted here.  Your tolerance may vary.

Be safe and Great Birding in 2016

Bryan Prather
St. Louis Co., Mo