Call for papers:

"Refugees, Migrants, and Exiles in the Age of Goethe
Panel sponsored by the Goethe Society of North America
Modern Language Association Annual Convention
Philadelphia, PA January 5-8, 2017

This panel examines figurations, metaphors, and constellations of displacement, engaging with questions of belonging, home, and escape, broadly construed. Papers may explore these questions in works by Goethe and/or by his contemporaries. While we consider biographical approaches, we are particularly interested in fictional, psycho-geographical, and historical treatments, including, for example, adaptation and reception of classical antiquity or the Bible, the French Revolution and/or the Napoleonic Wars, the Grand Tour, or resettlement due to environmental change, colonization or development projects.  1-page abstracts by 1 March to [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask].