We have parrots in Missouri?

On Friday, December 25, 2015 8:28 PM, Edge Wade <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

You forgot Rock Pigeons.  And we have a bunch of parrot type and mynas!
Edge wade
In Waco

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 25, 2015, at 2:33 PM, Larry Lade <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

The House Finches are  pretty much taking over our backyard bird feeding station!

Once called "Hollywood Finches" these western House Finches were once being sold as cage birds by some of the pet stores in the eastern United States. It was made illegal to sale these wild birds quite awhile ago and in 1940 a bunch were released (as the story goes) from a New York  pet shop and they began establishing their territory back westward. They were somewhat of a novelty here when they reached Missouri and now they are everywhere. (Somewhat similar as what happened when the Eurasian Collar-Dove was brought to this country from Europe and now they are everywhere, reaching,I believe, all of the lower 48 US states). So, now we have House Sparrows, European Starlings, House Finches and Collar-Doves filling quite a few niches formerly being used by "our native birds". I has to wonder how this is eventually going to  play out. Hopefully,  our wrens, bluebirds, etc. will be able to maintain and continue to enhance our US outdoors!    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to All.

Larry Lade
St. Joseph, MO