A quick trip to Cape Girardeau in less than optimum weather at least allowed me a visit to Perry County Community Lake in mid afternoon.  The wind was ferocious--a steady 20-25 mph with higher gusts.  Small birds were out of sight.  Big birds like Great Blue Herons and Ring-billed Gulls were handling it; but I watched a near miss (FAA talk for barely averted mid-air collision) of two American Crows as they were being tossed about.

On the lake were much the same mix of birds reported for more than a week.  The diva of the lake is a Surf Scoter SUSC).  She has the largest white spots on the head I've ever seen on SUSC.  She's hanging out with Lesser Scaup (LESC).  Also present are Ruddy Ducks (RUDU), 1 Ring-necked Duck (RNDU) and 4 female Buffleheads (BUFF).

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO