I am deeply grieved. Since I started birding in Forest Park, I met Jim
often both in the park and in his (then) official capacity as bird
walk leader for Forest Park Forever.. He was always generous in
sharing his vast knowledge,and I still remember that on the last bird
walk he conducted before he retired, I took along a large thermos of
ginger "chai" so that all of us could raise a chai-toast to his happy
retirement.

He was so unassuming that it was only after I googled for him that I
realized what a repository of knowledge he was! His white-haired,
dapper presence, talking to all the gathered newbies, and sharing his
binoculars and his scope..this might have been one tiny part of his
rich and varied life, but it's a memory that will always be with me.

I will join all of you in spirit  as you celebrate his life.

Cheers,Deepa.