I agree. Satire & irony tend to create more memorable work because they combine sensory apparatus with meaningful effects like riding a bomb into oblivion.
P.

On 25 Nov 2015 4:24 p.m., Peter Dillane <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Ken

The other thing about Strangelove is that it is a bit like something we say in Australia that some people behave as if sport is about life and death but it’s more important than that. General Turgidson has a folder in front of him labelled “World Targets in Megadeaths” .

Farce can focus the mind on horrors effectively I think.

Cheers

Pete

From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. [mailto:TSE@PO.MISSOURI.EDU] On Behalf Of Ken Armstrong
Sent: Thursday, 26 November 2015 11:09 AM
To: TSE@PO.MISSOURI.EDU
Subject: Re: OT: Hemingway

Never saw or read Fail Safe, though as I recollect every high school student was required to know something about it. My guess as to why Dr. S would be more compelling, based only on Tom's comments, is that it is in fact much more realistic. For starters, there is no such thing as a perfectly rational system. If that's the premise, the unreality of it would make the threat presented by it evanescent. Dr. S, on the other hand, is chock full of reality: people with ticks and prejudices and crazy beliefs and blind spots; the idea that a "perfectly rational system" could be overlaid on THAT, which is in fact the day to day reality we all face and contribute to -- now that's unrealistic.

Ken A