I had a nice morning at Smithville Lake, after a Frosty & Foggy start. I got there predawn after taking Dianne and her sister to KCI so they could go on their - post Patricia - Cruise down the west coast of Mexico. I could hear Waterfowl & Gulls out on the Dark, Foggy water. When it started clearing up I scoped the Lake from Picnic shelter #9 from the east side at the Crow's Creek area. I observed the two Western Grebes Terry Mc. reported for me, actively feeding from there. A Common Loon was also in that area. Saw several each Horned and Pied-billed Grebes too. There was a big flock of several thousand Franklin's Gulls out in the middle from the Dam. Lots of Am. Coots and Ruddy Ducks around. Good number of Gadwall also, with some Redheads, Ringneck, Shovelers, Pintail, and GW Teal. Saw another COLO later from the north side of the Dam. Probably more stuff out there I didn't see.
    I got good looks at three LeConte's Sparrows, and heard more, in a tall weedy field on the way to PS #9. Nice bunch of couple dozen DE Juncos around the Visitor Center. Had Chipping, Savannah, Fox, Song, Lincoln's, Swamp, White-throated, and White-crowned Sparrows today too. Good number of Bluebirds and Flickers in the open places. A Winter Wren was bopping around in and under a pile of branches west of PC #9. Good time of year to be down at the Lake!
Later, Steve KinderChillicothe, Livingston [log in to unmask]