I wrote: "Those chapters simply could not have been written had Jim been a Eruo-American." To put it another way, those chapters are about the _reader_ of the book. We can't cross-examine Twain, and I have no idea about his conscious (or unconscious) intentions as he wrote -- but in some sense or other he was expecting the reader to accept them. And that acceptance of them  depended on Jim's race.

The 1919 "race riots" in St. Louis were purely a _hunt_ to kill  African-Americans; they were _not_ a "conflict" between Blacks and Whites, they, I repeat, a Hunt!

African-Americans fled across the River to East St. Louis to escape the hunt. THAT is how those "dead Negroes" of 4Q got there.

I'm not interested in judgments of Eliot; but I do want to see his poems (and their implied reader) whole.

The "Birth" celebrated in Griffith's film may be thought of as the Second American Republic. The First Republic was a Slave Republic. The Second Republic was the Jim Crow Republic : It was born when Northern Whites accepted the glory of  KKK. We thought we had initiated a Third Republic (grounded in bourgeois equality) in the 1960s -- but as current events reveal, we failed.

Carrol

P.S. It's been over 50 years since I saw either film, so I'm not very sure of this -- but  The Battleship Potemkin may  echo the "rhythm" of Birth of a Nation. The rotten meat of the former corresponding to the chaotic legislative chambers of the latter. And the approach of the fleet at the end corresponding to the Ride of the KKK in the latter.