Twain _tried_ to fight racism, but the chapters involving Tom Sawyer & Jim are clearly racist -- though the _reader_ may focus differently. Those chapters simply could not have been written had Jim been a Eruo-American.

Carrol

-----Original Message-----
From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tom Gray
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2015 1:07 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: P.S. Birth of a Nation/Irish Airman was T.S. Eliot really liked, etc.

Racism winds through "Huckleberry Finn" but is this racism that of Mark Twain?

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 1:15 PM, Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

	Any attempt to ground  'judgment' of  'literature' in its truth value leads to intellectual chaos. I think I have several times in the past on this list referred to Yeats's "great and vile poem, An Irish Airman foresees His Death." I was not being sarcastic.  An identical description  applies to Griffith's "Great and vile movie." Commentary on either work may 'use' the work to grasp a 'truth' not directly available in the work itself. But that is another topic.

	This is the context in which to view the post below. It would be unfair to Eliot as a poet _not_ to recognize the racism that winds through his work. It rears its head several times in 4Q; the list of floating objects in the Mississippi is a direct reference to events in St. Louis in 1919.

	Carrol