There's a fine elucidation by David Chinitz of what Michael North observed about Eliot's nickname as Possum. Please look up p. 23 of TS ELIOT AND THE CULTURAL DIVIDE:

https://books.google.com/books?id=z-G1zjPAWIwC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

CR

On Sunday, October 11, 2015, Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Eliot grew up in St. Louis and summered in MA. His childhood was southern, not mainly New England. It was not just "background." Somewhere he also said that his city streets are in large part those of St. Louis. And so is his river long after.

Nancy

>>> P <[log in to unmask]');" target="_blank">[log in to unmask]> 10/11/15 7:26 PM >>>
I don't think it's that hard, Rickard. Eliot had a background in St. Louis (the south) but adopted the Bostonian put-on. Epithets stick when they fit. Brer rabbit didn't stick on Pound; he was much more a fox from Idaho. Cf. "I left the insane asylum when I left the US."
P.