Eliot grew up in St. Louis and summered in MA. His childhood was southern, not mainly New England. It was not just "background." Somewhere he also said that his city streets are in large part those of St. Louis. And so is his river long after.

Nancy

>>> P <[log in to unmask]> 10/11/15 7:26 PM >>>
I don't think it's that hard, Rickard. Eliot had a background in St. Louis (the south) but adopted the Bostonian put-on. Epithets stick when they fit. Brer rabbit didn't stick on Pound; he was much more a fox from Idaho. Cf. "I left the insane asylum when I left the US."
P.