The Letters of T. S. Eliot Volume 6: 1932-1933 Hardcover – 4 Feb 2016
by T.S. Eliot (Author), John Haffenden (Editor)

I reproduce below an Amazon description of the volume.

---

Despairing of his volatile, unstable wife, T. S. Eliot, at 44, resolves to
put an end to the torture of his eighteen-year marriage.

He breaks free from September 1932 by becoming Norton Lecturer at Harvard.
His lectures will be published as The Use of Poetry and the Use of
Criticism (1933). He also delivers the Page-Barbour Lectures at Virginia
(After Strange Gods, 1934). At Christmas he visits Emily Hale, to whom he
is 'obviously devoted'. He gives talks all over - New York, California,
Missouri, Minnesota, Chicago - and the letters describing encounters with
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Edmund Wilson and Marianne Moore ('a real Gillette
blade') brim with gossip. High points include the première at Vassar
College of his comic melodrama Sweeney Agonistes (1932). The year 'was the
happiest I can ever remember in my life . . . successful and amusing.'

Returning home, he hides out in the country while making known to Vivien
his decision to leave her. But he is exasperated when she buries herself in
denial: she will not accept a Deed of Separation.

The close of 1933 is lifted when Eliot 'breaks into Show Business'. He is
commissioned to write a 'mammoth Pageant': The Rock. This collaborative
enterprise will be the proving-ground for the choric triumph of Murder in
the Cathedral (1935).

---

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Letters-Eliot-Volume-1932-1933/dp/0571316344/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_cp_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0CQJ0D6JS2RX472H9VQT

The cover image of Eliot is very suave, one of the best.

CR