I'm glad you agree. If E. was reading John of the Cross,  it's hard to believe he wasn't reading the teacher of John. As well as writing 4 such books,  she also founded something like 17 monasteries,  & commissioned John to do the same for men. He managed to found 5.
Keep in mind these folks only had their thongs to walk with. That's how they travelled.
Peter