From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Nancy Gish
Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 1:30 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: T.S. Eliot really liked cats according to his wife - NY Daily
News

Of all the silly disagreements on this list, this has to be the top. (But
loving cats was one of the most charming things about Eliot--at least one
that produced warmth and humor--so) "Familiarity" does not mean lack of
affection or loyalty or companionability: it means the cat resents
disrespect or rudeness, as in "b. an unduly informal act or expression:
IMPROPRIETY." (Webster's) That whole poem is about respecting the cat's
sense of itself:

I bow, and taking off my hat,
Ad-dress him in this form: o CAT!
But if he is the Cat next door,
Whom I have often met before
(He comes to see me in my flat)
I greet him with an OOPSA CAT!
A Cat's entitled to expect
These evidences of respect.

As for Eliot and dogs: "So first, your memory I'll jog. And say: A CAT IS
NOT A DOG."

Read the whole poem; it's not enthusiastic on a dog, who is "'What you would
call a simple soul" and "an easy-going lout."

Cats do prefer some propriety; it's not a lack of affection.

>>> Chanan Mittal 10/07/15 1:54 PM >>>

"I say, you should ad-dress a Cat.
But always keep in mind that he
Resents familiarity."

-- TS Eliot on 'The Ad-dressing of Cats'