19 Birders showed up for the annual St. Stanislaus bird trip today, Sept 30.   Highlight of the trip was a mini fallout, thanks to last evening’s rain and cold front, just about 100 yards in from the parking lot.   Lots of warblers, probably 100 + Goldfinch and some other species as well.   The runoff culvert that we normally cross to head into the field in the southern section of the CA was running full of water today so we could not cross it.  The northern section of the CA gave us good views of some hawks and Cedar Waxwings.  The plants in the field seemed to be full of sparrows, but we could not recruit any volunteers to go in there to scare up the birds; something about not wanting to be covered in seeds.

Many thanks to Pat Lueders, Dick Palmer and Dave Pierce for helping to find and ID the birds.

Species seen insofar as my memory goes:

American White Pelican
Canada Goose
Turkey Vulture
Red-tailed Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Cooper’s Hawk
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker (Heard only)
Eastern Wood-pewee
Blue Jay
White-Breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren (Heard only)
Wren sp - probably Sedge but not certain
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Cedar Waxwing
Blue-headed Vireo