I made a run to Peters' Market at Waverly for apples today after the successful installation of a new water heater. [ It has a warranty of 6 years; the old one was installed in 1984.  The 1982 refrigerator in the basement has outlasted 3 in the kitchen.  Some things really aren't made like they used to].   I took a BDR home, planning on a 30 minute run through Pape Lake south of Concordia.  One hour and 55 minutes later I left for Columbia.

At Pape there were a lot of "the usual suspects" and a couple of noteworthy species.  Looking up, I was surprised to see the distinctive flight pattern of a Common Nighthawk heading south over the lake.  My first thought was, "Gee, if I'd looked that way a little quicker, would I have seen more, or is this a loner?"  My second thought was, "Well, that's probably the last one I'll see this year."

Shortly thereafter I had some mixed feelings about seeing the first, then a flock of Yellow-rumped Warblers.  Mixed feelings because, for me they are the harbingers of true autumn--summer really is over.

Bodacious birding!

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO
ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/