This morning, Mark McKellar and Ruth Simmons of the Backyard Bird Center in Kansas City, North, led an outing to Smithville Lake.  It was extremely windy, with white-caps on the water, and rather quiet as far as bird activity.  We did find a fair number of species, though, in spite of the weather, with the highlight being the sighting of the Buff-breasted Sandpiper.  It was foraging among a flock of Killdeer on the golf course just across the water from the Little Platte marina.

Other species that our group saw and/or heard included:  Double-crested Cormorants, Great Blue Herons, Canada Geese, Turkey Vultures, Osprey, Black-bellied Plover, Franklin's Gulls, Ring-billed Gulls, Caspian Terns, Mourning Doves, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, Downy Woodpecker, Eastern Phoebe, Blue Jays, Black-capped Chickadees, Carolina Wren, Eastern Bluebirds, European Starlings, Cedar Waxwings, Eastern Meadowlark, and American Goldfinches.

As always, we had an enjoyable trip.

Good birding!
Susan Seyboth
Kansas City, MO