An illiterate bird (in my vocabulary) is one that cannot read the bird books, bar graphs, and/or annotated checklists, so appears way too early, too late, or in the wrong place altogether.

A semi-illiterate bird is one that may be able to read the bird books and checklists, but has difficulty with understanding a calendar or human-generated geographic divisions, so is somewhere a bit early, a bit late, or on the wrong side of an invisible line.

These birds are what give records committees a reason to exist and things to do--like topics to discuss over beer, writing books, updating checklists and re-drawing bar graphs.

Bodacious birding,

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO