RE: Shorebird ID Workshop September 4-5, 2015

Hi all shorebird enthusiasts:

If you enjoyed past bird workshops at Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge in Sumner, MO, we are doing it again. If this is your first Shorebird Workshop, Welcome, you should have a good time.  We missed our springtime shorebirds due to rain so we are trying early September as it is the only weekend Paul and I have open.

                We have room for 30 folks in the classroom part of the workshop.  We can handle a few more on the field trips than in the classroom.  All are welcome. Some field trips will be a little muddier than others depending on the rain and the location you are birding. Knee high rubber boots is more than enough.

All birders and beginning birders welcome: bring binoculars and bird books. We have a few loaner binoculars for use during the workshop.

                Let me know ahead of time if you need to borrow a pair of 8X42 binoculars?  See below for email address.

Brad

Agenda===============================================================================

A Shorebird Identification Workshop, hosted by Audubon Society of Missouri and Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge in Sumner, Chariton County, Missouri.  Workshop organizers are Paul McKenzie, Steve Kinder, and Brad Jacobs. If you would like to attend please email [log in to unmask] so we can estimate attendance and snacks for Friday night.

SCHEDULE OF WORKSHOP

Friday, 4-5 September 2015 - meet at Refuge Headquarters at 1 pm

1 pm to 4 pm      Field Trip with group leaders

5:00 pm – Meet back at Headquarters to coordinate Saturday field trips and assign trip leaders.

5:30 pm to 6:30 pm –instruction - limit 30 persons in Headquarters Nature Center.

6:30 pm to 7:00 pm – Bring your own meal. Some food and drinks will be available.

7:00 pm to 8:30 pm – Shorebird ID instruction - limit 30 persons in Headquarters Nature Center

MEAL Saturday Breakfast is on your own.

Saturday - 5 September 2015 - meet at Refuge Headquarters at 7:30 am.  Field Trips will be organized into smaller groups to ensure that everyone has a chance to see most of the species.

7:30 am – Small groups depart with assigned leaders. We may all get together at the best location, later in morning if the shorebirds are in one location.

11:30 am Meet at Headquarters for tally and workshop closure.

12:00 pm End of workshop, free to bird on.

MEAL Saturday Lunch is on your own.

LODGING

Lodging in Chillicothe (25.5 miles): from Sumner go west on H Hwy to US 65, then north to Chillicothe. Comfort Inn (660-646-9900) and Super 8 (660-646-7888) are among the seven hotels in town.  Need to check to see if the bridge work is completed on 139 highway west of Swan Lake?

or

Lodging in Brookfield (23 miles): from Sumner go east and north on MO 139 to US 36, then east on US 36 to Brookfield, then south on Hwy 11 to the Best Western (660-258-4900). There are five hotels in town.

CLOTHING

Be sure to dress appropriately for the weather.  It should be warm, but bring layers of clothing and warm water proof footwear to facilitate adjusting for temperature. We will be outside for about 4 hours on Friday and 4 hours on Saturday.  We may be wading in shallow water and mud.

 Brad

Brad Jacobs

Missouri Department of Conservation

P.O. Box 180