We also had a late brood of house wrens.  I'm guessing it was their
third brood.  It was in the bottom of an unused (for the summer) bird
feeder on our patio. Earlier they had at least one brood in a bird house
also on the patio.  The late brood fledged sometime this past week.
      I also have two questions:
     One is regarding the occasional "bald" cardinal this time of year.
Are they always males?  If it is a molting, why don't they all do it?
And if it is a parasite, why is it so short-lived? Etc.
    Second is regarding a mystery bird.  On July 30, my daughter and I
were at Schell-Osage for shorebirds, etc.  We turned the first left turn
after getting to the area on RA I think it is. Then instead of turning
right to go along the dam of Schell Lake, we turned left to the dead
end.  It is woods along the left side at  first (before the marshy
part), wet woodlands, the first stretch (you know if you know the area)
and on the right side a sort of line of trees at roadside with a small
pond hidden behind the trees.  Across our road, very suddenly, swiftly
and quickly ending, and very low zoomed a flight of a bird I at first
thought could only think Grouse???  But on retrospect, with the setting,
we were wondering whether it would have had to be a bittern.  It flew
low over the road just in front of the car, and landed and disappeared
in the wet woodland.  The whole sighting took just a second or two, but
the "giss" was a pretty large bird with wide wings.  Could it have been
anything else, flying so low in that habitat?  Thanks for any ideas.
Ronda Sherrill, Neosho, MO