Squirrels have run up my “shepherd’s hook” , and then face down my hanging hummingbird feeder.  While hanging upside down, with back feet still on the top of the hook and  their little front paws grabbing the base of the hummingbird feeder,  they tilt the base and open their mouths  --- and let the fluid drain right out of the feeder  into their mouths!  I would not have believed it if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes.  Crafty little creatures they are!

Jean Leonatti

Columbia, MO

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike Grant
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 11:47 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Hummingbird feeders....no sightings

Same in my yard. Also House Finch and Cardinals drink from it and I have even seen a Chickadee bath in it, despite the full size bird bath located 30 or so feet away.

Mike Grant
Chesterfield, MO

Sent from my ASUS Pad

Kevin Wehner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I have a cup-like ant trap above my humming bird feeder. A Black-capped Chickadee and a Tufted Titmouse occasionally perch on the rim of the trap and get a drink of water. I keep it filled to the brim just for them! :-)

Kevin Wehner

Columbia, MO