Rudolf Bennitt CA (Randolph, Howard and a wee mostly inaccessible piece in Boone Co.) is one of the Birders' Guide series that will be featured in the September  Bluebird.  It's an area with a lot of habitat variety and a good road and trail system.  If you go there and enter your data into eBird, remember to check the map and enter birds for the correct county.

I birded there today and had an unusual experience.  I was watching a Gray Catbird and an Eastern Towhee in a shrub a few feet away at the shooting range.  The catbird egged the towhee into a scolding session with me as the target.  "O.k., I'll give you something to scold me for," I thought.  With ASM Fall Meeting only a couple months away, I need to get my Barred Owl sounds in good form so I can converse without shame with Larry Lade, the #1 Barred Owl vocalizer in the state.

There was no one around, so I let loose with the full repertoire.  The catbird and towhee were soon joined by a Blue Jay, 2 Scarlet Tanagers and a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher--no surprises there.  But, right there with them, zooming in to perch high in the shrub to get into the action was a male Ruby-throated Hummingbird.

If others have observed RTHUs involved in mobbing/scolding, I'd be interested in the tale.

Oh, and a car pulled in just enough after I quit "cooking for you" that I don't think they connected the Strix varia yodel with me!

Full lists for the day on eBird.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO