I'm not really an "average" birder much less expert birder. I only started keeping a life list 8-9 months ago.
I am using Scythebill and really like it - user friendly, and tons of features. It is totally free.
Cross-Platform - Windows, Mac, Linux
You can export to eBird or import to eBird.

Manual said this about importing from Avisys:  The most recent version does support exporting directly to eBird, and those files can then be imported to Scythebill as eBird imports, but if you’re using an older version, you’ll need to use its built-in CSV export format.  Check the Avisys manual for more information.

It supports both eBird/Clements checklist and the IOC World Bird List. You create different check-lists of different countries or areas.
I found the developer responded promptly to a couple of questions I had - he was helpful, encouraged me to ask any other questions I might have.

Here is a link from my google docs of the Scythebill manual.  You can take a look - its illustrated.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15m7XxJSeNGUSsEQpmnw4dMWW_BuoUnVYDQMLUBlL8Fw/edit?usp=sharing

Scythebill is very professionally done software.

http://blog.scythebill.com/  (for the download link) - it was just updated last week with the latest IOC updated checklist

Ev Luecke
Troy, MO.