P,  --  Thanks very much for sending the information and newspaper account to me. The Lear topic was one he used very often in his US lectures in 1932-33, and it cannot have been among his more popular subjects.
--  Jim

On Fri, 7/31/15, P <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 Subject: Re: Attention Jim, Eliot's whereabouts on January 26, 1933
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Date: Friday, July 31, 2015, 12:06 PM

 I'm glad he disposed
 of the essay.
 P.

 On 31
 Jul 2015 4:25 am, "Rickard A. Parker" <[log in to unmask]>
 wrote:

 > The
 following are two cut and pastes from the web page at
 >    http://libweb.lib.buffalo.edu/blog/?cat=24

 > This first one tells of his visit at the
 University of Buffalo:

 > On January 26, 1933, T.S. Eliot, poet and
 critic, was in Buffalo, N.Y. to appear before an audience
 for a Fenton Foundation lecture held under the auspices of
 the University of Buffalo in the Twentieth Century Club at
 595 Delaware Avenue. (see “Meaningful, Sonic Poetry Termed
 Best” Buffalo Courier-Express, 27 January 1933)

 > Between 1932 and
 1933, T.S. Eliot wrote and presented a series of lectures
 while touring U.S. universities. His topic while in Buffalo
 was Edward Lear and Modern Poetry.

 > Apparently Eliot was not happy with the
 Lear lecture. T.S. Eliot was once asked why it was absent in
 his “Collected Essays.” He replied, “I am flattered
 that you should retain any interest in the lecture I gave on
 Edward Lear, and am therefore sorry to say that I destroyed
 the script of this and of a number of occasional lectures
 which I delivered in the United States in 1932-33.”

 > For more information
 on poetry, visit the Poetry Collection, a part of the
 University at Buffalo Libraries Special Collections.

 > This second cut and
 paste is the text of a newspaper article written about that
 visit:

 MEANINGFUL,
 > SONIC POETRY
 > TERMED BEST
 >
 > —
 >
 > T. S. Eliot, poet and critic,
 > contrasts style of various
 > writers
 >
 > —
 >
 > There are two types of poetry, one in
 which the words are used simply to give meaning, the other
 in which the words are used for their sonic effect, but in
 great poetry the words do both. T. S. Eliot, English poet
 and critic, told an audience last night in his Fenton
 Foundation lecture held under auspices of the University of
 Buffalo at the Twentieth Century Club.

 > Mr. Eliot’s subject
 was Edward Lear and Modern Poetry, and one of his themes was
 that modern “unintelligible” poetry derives from Lear as
 one of its sources. Lear, a contemporary of Lewis Carroll,
 the author of Alice in Wonderland, was a writer of light
 verse, in which there was more nonsense than sense, and in
 which the words were chosen not to convey ideas, but
 emotional effects—the emotion being of the whimsical sort.

 > Compares Carroll,
 Lear

 > Mr. Eliot
 drew this contrast between Lewis Carroll and Edward Lear:
 Carroll’s whimsy, with its detective story elements, its
 logical procedure, appeals to the adult element in children,
 whereas Lear’s poetry, which is more “poetic” and
 less, logical, appeals to the childish side of adults.

 > Quoting Walter
 Pater’s essay which makes the point that all the other
 arts only approach music which stands above them, Mr. Eliot
 made a defense for this sonic, musical, somewhat
 unintelligible poetry, which makes no pretense at sense, but
 pleases the ear, or creates an emotional effect.

 > Swinburne, another
 contemporary of Lear, also was held up for comparison to
 this effect: that Swinburne was an adolescent who pretended
 to be writing poetry with much meaning, though it was really
 meaningless, whereas Lehr didn’t even pretend to be making
 sense.

 > Following
 the lecture, Mr. Eliot, author of The Sacred Wood, and The
 Waste Land, read from his own poems.

 Courier-Express, January 27, 1933