Thanks, Rick

It does sound a little too much like our local Windermere on a holiday weekend, but we'll probably try go if only for the TWL resonance. And it sounds, again like Windermere, that the area is one of outstanding natural beauty, even if the town awash with visitors isn't.

Thanks again for good wishes

David

On 9 August 2015 at 14:52, Rickard A. Parker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> (We are shortly to embark on a long transeuropean railway journey
> from NW England to Munich, and I just noticed the Starnberger See
> on the map, close by that city. Has anyone visited there, any
> chance? - is it worth a look, if even for the vicarious
> experience of being in the same place? I haven't seen it noted on
> any of the usual 'places to see' guides, unlike eg Neuschwanstein
> Castle and Berchtesgaden.)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187309-d591021-Reviews-Starnberger_See-Munich_Upper_Bavaria_Bavaria.html
TripAdvisor:
Starnberger See
4.5 of 5 stars
466 Reviews
#24 of 433 things to do in Munich
Certificate of Excellence

Great reviews but I read a number of them and it seems that it is rated mostly as a lake escape from Munich (one hour by train.) It may be that the "See" is like one of the "Waters" in the Lake district with the visitors speaking a different language and drinking a different kind of beer.

I haven't been there but I bet I would like the Hofgarten. I like gardens.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187309-d2459913-Reviews-Hofgarten-Munich_Upper_Bavaria_Bavaria.html
TripAdvisor:
4.0 of 5 stars
128 Reviews