> (We are shortly to embark on a long transeuropean railway journey
> from NW England to Munich, and I just noticed the Starnberger See
> on the map, close by that city. Has anyone visited there, any
> chance? - is it worth a look, if even for the vicarious
> experience of being in the same place? I haven't seen it noted on
> any of the usual 'places to see' guides, unlike eg Neuschwanstein
> Castle and Berchtesgaden.)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187309-d591021-Reviews-Starnberger_See-Munich_Upper_Bavaria_Bavaria.html
TripAdvisor:
Starnberger See
4.5 of 5 stars
466 Reviews
#24 of 433 things to do in Munich
Certificate of Excellence

Great reviews but I read a number of them and it seems that it is rated mostly as a lake escape from Munich (one hour by train.) It may be that the "See" is like one of the "Waters" in the Lake district with the visitors speaking a different language and drinking a different kind of beer.

I haven't been there but I bet I would like the Hofgarten. I like gardens.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187309-d2459913-Reviews-Hofgarten-Munich_Upper_Bavaria_Bavaria.html
TripAdvisor:
4.0 of 5 stars
128 Reviews