I think Emily Hale put it best, when talking about TSE to her students at Scripps College just before TSE's visit there in January 1933: She called him "a man of extremes."  --  Jim
On Thu, 8/6/15, Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 Subject: Re: Letter of Recommendation: 'The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock'
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Date: Thursday, August 6, 2015, 6:04 PM

 I agree
 about the public/private conflicts, but they were not
 consistent either. He was, for example, variably kind to
 Djuna Barnes--writing with admiration about Nightwood
 but--in her experience--betraying that later when he was
 both dismissive and a bit cold to her about a later book.
 And he was not always kind to others in private life, in
 fact, not at all to many. But he was, as you say, not just
 one persona. I think the sustained affirmation of Maurras
 was a part of that "ugly politics," if Ken Ascher
 is at all accurate--and he has pretty serious evidence.

 What seems important to me is that he was clearly not a
 single (and thus simple) person; he was as complicated as
 the poems and always, I think, conflicted.
 Nancy

 >>> James Loucks
 08/06/15 5:23 PM >>>

 You make a very valuable point, Nancy.

 There is also the public/private dichotomy: in his
 private life, he was invariably kind, generous and
 sympathetic to deserving young writers, for instance, and to
 people who were very ill, or who had fallen into unfortunate
 circumstances. His deeply held faith tended, as well, to
 modulate his public acts and activities, it seems to me.

 And regarding Maurras: he later said that despite
 Maurras’s shortcomings including his not being an ardent
 Catholic, he (Maurras) saw the positive social value and
 culturally unifying effect of the Church in France. --
 Jim