Is the Eliot's wedding a subtext here?
P.

On 8 Aug 2015 9:02 am, Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Eliot already had a line there. It was "You want to keep him at home, I suppose." Vivienne crossed it out and placed an asterisk next to it. At the bottom of the page she wrote as a footnote "What you get married for if you dont want to have children."

Valerie's annotation says "On the verso of this leaf, Vivien Eliot has written in pencil to her husband: 'Make any of these alterations--or none if you prefer. Send me back this copy & let me have it.'"

Eliot took out "to have" and added the apostrophe and replaced his line with hers. Hers is a lot better in this case.

It seems clear from recent biography that Vivienne did have a real influence on early poems after their marriage and before it all fell apart completely.

It is not just a matter of Eliot incorporating another voice--as he did by using Ellen Kellond's recounting of the pub exchange--but of editing in the same manner as Pound.

Nancy

On Fri, 7 Aug 2015 14:54:35 -0400, Nancy Gish <ngish@USM.MAINE.EDU> wrote:

>This line may be part of a brilliant exchange, but Vivienne wrote it and added it, not TSE: "What you get married for if you don't want children?" (See Facsimile.)
>
>Whether that matters is an open question.
>Nancy

After years this thought just came to me: What if Vivien just wrote down a line that was told to the Eliots but was forgotten to be added by TSE? My "Facsimile" has been missing for years so I can't see how this was inserted.

Regards,
Rick Parker