Is there a distinction to be made between the social &  creative dimensions of his persona?
P.

On 6 Aug 2015 2:21 pm, James Loucks <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
You make a very valuable point, Nancy.

There is also the public/private dichotomy: in his private life, he was invariably kind, generous and sympathetic to deserving young writers, for instance, and to people who were very ill, or who had fallen into unfortunate circumstances. His deeply held faith tended, as well, to modulate his public acts and activities, it seems to me.

And regarding Maurras: he later said that despite Maurras’s shortcomings including his not being an ardent Catholic, he (Maurras) saw the positive social value and culturally unifying effect of the Church in France. --  Jim

From: Nancy Gish
Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2015 4:37 PM
Subject: Re: Letter of Recommendation: 'The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock'

I am interested in the fact that this was written without any checking: "Eliot’s ugly politics couldn’t diminish the radical, explosive force of his poetry."

I have been delighted to see that Robert Crawford's new biography of the "young Eliot" affirms also what I have thought for years: that at the time of "Prufrock" Eliot was not the person whose politics later became "ugly." In fact, in 1919 he called himself a "liberal" and also said that although at home he was a conservative, in England he was a "Labourite." He seemed to change pretty drastically between then and 1924 when he said he was "all for Empire" and very reactionary.

While he read Maurras in the Paris year and, as Ascher claims, remained influenced by it all his life, he also read Bergson that year, and at the time of writing "Prufrock," he said, he was "completely Bergsonian." He was reading widely and thinking through very contrasting ideas. The reactionary and no doubt "ugly" politics (and even those were somewhat mixed) came later. Crawford's book looks very intensively at the person he was up through TWL, and the person who wrote "Prufrock" did not have the thorough and seemingly complete world view of the later Eliot--in fact, was  "completely Bergsonian" by his own account. The "radically explosive force" did not then conflict with his politics as it may have with the older person who wrote the late poems.

Nancy

>>> "schlanger@aol.com" <0000001d2010e66f-dmarc-request@PO.MISSOURI.EDU> 08/06/15 3:19 PM >>>
He probably meant Arnold.

Good to see in the underlying piece that we are getting away from the usual image of Prufrock as pathetically comic and interestingly bland. As I have said here in the past I credit Prufrock (and therefore Eliot as his creator) with more of an inner life. Just his (Prufrock's and Eliot's) capability to evoke so much in the poem belies the usual famous analysis.

N.B. I also think Arnold is famously misunderstood.

Sent from my iPhone