If it was himself even partly,  then he was rather typical and so to some extent universal. Is anyone's view of him or herself to be trusted?
P.

On 26 Aug 2015 1:22 pm, Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Yes, I know the line. In a 1962 interview, Eliot said Prufrock was partly himself [he was 22] and partly someone else, a man of about forty who also partly expressed his own feeling. That he feels he is growing old is no more absolutely literal about his age than the line that he is drowning or has his head on a platter. At 22, one imagines, no doubt, that 40 is "growing old."
In "Prufrock's Pervigilium" Prufrock sees himself as a mad old man in a gutter. Eliot added that section and then removed it--either in 1911 or 1912.

As I said, if he said it was partly himself, I presume he knew.
Nancy

>>> P 08/26/15 2:10 PM >>>

"I grow old,  I grow old"
P.