University of Waterloo

Date: November 13th, 2015
Location: Hart House, University of Toronto
Deadline for abstracts: August 10th 2015
Keynote speaker: Professor Paul Youngman, Head of the Department of
German and Russian, and Chair of the Digital Humanities Working Group
at Washington and Lee University

As inhabitants of a digital global space, we all form identities that
may or may not differ greatly from our non-virtual selves. Informed
and manipulated by mass media, the construction of our identities is,
more than ever, shaped by global discourses. Ideas of nationalism,
race, and gender are formed and re-formed in ways impossible to
recreate in a non-digital environment.

In 2013 the German chancellor Angela Merkel famously dubbed the
internet ‘Neuland’. While far from being unknown territory for German
culture, the language of choice for much of the internet’s content is
undoubtedly English. How does German-language culture respond to this?
Since language and identity are so closely intertwined, how much
influence does English have on non-native speakers? How do German
speakers, writers, artists position themselves in a global
environment? Do they embrace it? Do they subvert it, undermine it?

We welcome submissions from graduate students on the PhD and Master
level on the topic of global identities in a digital age which could
be explored from one of these vantage points:

Media identification
Race, Class, Gender, Sexuality, Age, Nation
Disability
Avatars
Social Media
Digital German Culture
The Role of the Cinema
Physicality vs. the Virtual
Texts and Hypertexts
Nature
Futurism
Post-Nationalism
Post-Humanism
Gaming
Celebrity and Iconicity
Borders and boundaries

Abstracts are accepted in German and English but please note that this
is an English-language conference. All presentations will be held in
English. Please submit your abstract (approximately 250 words) by
August 10th to [log in to unmask]

Important Dates
Extended Deadline for proposal submission: August 10th 2015
Notification of acceptance: August 25th, 2015
Conference : November 13th, 2015