I'm reporting that the Long-tailed Jaeger is present at Horseshoe Lake this
morning -- viewed off and on between 6:30 and 8:30 by Frank Holmes, Brad
Jacobs, my son Matt, and me, repeatedly over and around the causeway and
elsewhere, high and low. Brad had it actually landing on the causeway,
early a.m.

Based on a Doug Hommert photo (thanks, Doug) that I shared with Paul Lehman
of California, he agrees that the bird is in its second summer, with
plumage between juvenile and adult, but a bit more toward adult in overall
look. This variable age is not illustrated in any of the regular field
guides, but two different "versions" of it are shown in the *Skuas and
Jaegers* book by Klaus Malling Olsen.

Also present were a couple of Caspian Terns, five Forster's Terns, and six
Black Terns; the latter blew through with the windy front and did not stick
around.

Best of luck to all who may still go searching. Your chances are good if
you give it time. And thanks to Frank for finding the bird!

Bill Rowe
St. Louis