"'What did Conan Doyle mean to Eliot? He meant obviously enough for him to
insert into a highly serious play, at its most serious point, lines almost
verbatim, and yet he never dared to make a literary judgement on Conan
Doyle. He always threatened, some day, to write a work which should provide
an aesthetic for the detective story.’" -- Anthony Burgess

'The Waste Land' is that work, I guess.

CR