Hi Tim and all,
I know you will know this, but it is interesting that it was Emily Hale
who restarted the correspondence, writing to Eliot in 1927 from Italy.
But others might find that interesting.
Nancy

>>> Chanan Mittal  07/19/15 9:34 PM >>>
Thanks, Tim.
Yes, "Selected Letters," the editors presumably using their discretion
hold such letters in abeyance till the time the whole lot is public.
Looking forward to your reviews.
Regards,
CR

On Sunday, July 19, 2015, Materer, Timothy J.  wrote:

> > Of course, you must have read Lyndall Gordon's review in The
Guardian.

> I hadn’t and many thanks for mentioning it. She makes a significant
> observation:
>
> > Emily Hale, still single, came to England for consecutive summers
from
> 1927 to 1930. Eliot wrote to her at Burford in the Cotswolds in
September
> 1930 and again on 6 October. Though this preliminary phase of their
> correspondence is not sequestered along with the thousand or so
letters
> that Eliot later wrote to her, it does not appear in this volume.
>
> The volumes are called Collected Letters, which might make one think
they
> are “Complete Letters,” when to some degree they are “Selected
Letters.”