All kinds of interesting language are disappearing in the great homogenisation.
My dad told me that when he was in London in WWI they used to kid the drivers, when they would say something like "Next stop 'ampstead." Dad would say "Didn't you drop something there?" The reply would be "That's alright. I'll pick it up at Hoxford."
PM