My meagre resources (google) suggested that there was a ship named Tuppence. I wonder if it connects to that? It was spoken by a character not given to any language abuse,  and so caused a pregnant pause as the close audience looked at him. He said in response, my grandmother was a northerner,  and went on with his sandwich.

Thanks for the reply.
Peter