> Of course, you must have read Lyndall Gordon's review in The Guardian.

I hadn’t and many thanks for mentioning it. She makes a significant observation:

> Emily Hale, still single, came to England for consecutive summers from 1927 to 1930. Eliot wrote to her at Burford in the Cotswolds in September 1930 and again on 6 October. Though this preliminary phase of their correspondence is not sequestered along with the thousand or so letters that Eliot later wrote to her, it does not appear in this volume.

The volumes are called Collected Letters, which might make one think they are “Complete Letters,” when to some degree they are “Selected Letters.”

My reviews of Vol. 5 and Vols. 1 & 2 of the Complete Prose will be published in about a month and I will make them available here.