For Father's Day! Today we watched a Red-bellied Woodpecker father and son in our yard. They were having a lesson in food-gathering. The adults always go to a feeder, grab a sunflower seed, bring it to this knot on the Mimosa tree and bang it to crack it. He took his son through each step a few times. First he did it all and just fed the tender nut. Then he transferred it in the shell and sonny cracked it. Finally, he took the son to the feeder and the kid did the rest. It was so cool!

--
Gary Sewell & Lynne Weixel
5662 County Road 2330