From: "Pat Lueders" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Trip Report -SLAS Trip to Tower Grove Park 5/9/2015
Date: Sat, May 9, 2015 1:03 PM

Over 50 birders met on this overcast morning and were rewarded with a nice variety of warblers seen and heard around Tower Grove Park.  We began with fleeting and then eventually good looks at 2 Cape May Warblers in the spruce trees near the restrooms.  Red-headed Woodpeckers and Palm Warblers were seen in the same area.  The perimeter of the Gaddy Garden produced 2 Ovenbirds, a Swainson's Thrush, and the Red-tailed Hawk nest seen well in Bernie Favara's scope.  A singing Scarlet Tanager finally showed itself before we walked into the field east of the garden where we found a nice variety of warblers seen high in the trees.  Bay-breasted Warblers were found as well as Chestnut-sided, Blackpoll, Tennessee, Nashville, and many American Redstart.  While watching the Bay-breasted, a pair of Blackburnian Warblers were seen quickly and then refound by the hard working group.

A search for the Great Horned Owls near the stables was unproductive, but on the return walk towards the garden even better views of the Blackburnian were seen as well as 2 Yellow-throated Vireo and a Black-throated Green.  Brenda Hente knew the location of a Ruby-throated Hummingbird nest just past the garden which could be seen well in Mike Grant's scope to the delight of the group.

The heavy rain held off until 11 am which ended the official portion of the trip.

Thanks to all of the local and visiting birders who contributed to the success of the day.  I've included my ebird list but other birds might have been seen.

Pat Lueders, St Louis Audubon

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

> Tower Grove Park, St. Louis City, US-MO
> May 9, 2015 7:30 AM - 11:00 AM
> Protocol: Traveling
> 3.0 mile(s)
> Comments:     St Louis Audubon walk
> 46 species
>
> Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  2
> Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  1
> Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)  2
> Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)  2
> Chimney Swift (Chaetura pelagica)  20
> Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris)  2
> Red-headed Woodpecker (Melanerpes erythrocephalus)  2
> Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)  2
> Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens)  1
> Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)  3
> Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens)  2
> Great Crested Flycatcher (Myiarchus crinitus)  2
> Yellow-throated Vireo (Vireo flavifrons)  3
> Blue-headed Vireo (Vireo solitarius)  1
> Philadelphia Vireo (Vireo philadelphicus)  1
> Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus)  1
> Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  2
> American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  3
> Carolina Chickadee (Poecile carolinensis)  2
> Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor)  3
> White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis)  1
> Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus)  2
> Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea)  2
> Swainson's Thrush (Catharus ustulatus)  1
> Wood Thrush (Hylocichla mustelina)  2
> American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  15
> Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis)  1
> Brown Thrasher (Toxostoma rufum)  2
> European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)  8
> Ovenbird (Seiurus aurocapilla)  2
> Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia)  1
> Tennessee Warbler (Oreothlypis peregrina)  8
> Nashville Warbler (Oreothlypis ruficapilla)  4
> American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla)  10
> Cape May Warbler (Setophaga tigrina)  3
> Northern Parula (Setophaga americana)  1
. Magnolia Warbler. 2
> Bay-breasted Warbler (Setophaga castanea)  2
> Blackburnian Warbler (Setophaga fusca)  2
.  Chestnut-sided Warbler  4