From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Dwight R Cruikshank [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2015 7:26 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Tips for seeing more species at EBCA?

Hello,

My wife and I have only been seriously birding for about six months.  We have 7 feeders in our yard now, and we usually make at least one trip to Eagle Bluffs CA a week.  What Iím noticing is that my eBird lists are relatively short.  Now that spring is here some people are getting 55-65 species a visit. Iím lucky to get 30.  So I have some questions for those who are racking up the numbers?

When is the best time to go? early morning, late afternoon?

Are you using a scope to see more distant birds?  (I just got a pair of excellent binoculars, which helped a lot today!)

How do you observe/see small birds in trees?  (I hear the calls but canít locate where they are coming from )

Do you use some sort of systematic approach for searching/counting?

Iím not asking for a birding disquisition/lecture here, just a few helpful pointers.  I certainly donít expect be a top birder overnight.

Thanks,
Dwight Cruikshank
Columbia, MO